Monday, October 28, 2013

Wonka Mania

Hello teachers! I am now writing my second blog post of the day because I would love to share with you a very exciting event that we had on Friday. It was called "Wonka Mania". As a second grade team, we started reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to our students way back in the beginning of October. During the time that we were reading, our students had to earn five golden tickets for good behavior, which would mean that they had earned their "Wonka Mania" party! 

We had a whole day devoted to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory! The morning started off very exciting for the students because this is what they saw when they came to school:



Yes, that is the second grade team at my school! I am third from the left, with the darker green wig on. You wouldn't believe how excited the kids got when they saw their teachers dressed like oompa loompas! 

The morning consisted of inventing their own candy, and then writing about it. Some of these pages were freebies from Third Grade Galore's TPT website, which you can find here! I also created a few more pages, including a graphic organizer and a writing pages to go along with the candy inventing. You wouldn't believe how creative my kids were!




For math, did a lot of review with candy. We had just learned how to count out change earlier in the week, so the students made a flip book to review with candy prices. We also voted on our favorite type of candy, and completed a tally chart and bar graph. I had made a chocolate bar fractions page, but we ran out of time, and did not get to it. One of my goals for this week is to turn these activities into a package for my TPT store. I will let you all know once that is up!



When we came back from lunch, we ended the day with our party. I had a few parent volunteers come in and help me set up our chocolate fountain, along with items to dip in it. We watched the movie Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, and we stopped it quite a few times throughout to fill out a Venn Diagram comparing and contrasting the book with the movie. We had a blast!



Events like these are a little extra work, but students will remember them for years to come. Happy teaching!



1 comment:

  1. Looks like you guys had a blast!!!! I love doing little extras too!! Sometimes kids just need a break from the regular grind. Thanks for sharing!

    Jamie
    teachingtidbit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete