Saturday, October 5, 2013

Five For Friday- Spiders, Cabbage Soup, and San Diego

Hey everyone, I am linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for Five for Friday. October is here, and assessments are coming up in a few weeks. I am excited to see the progress that my students have made so far this year!

Now, on to my Five for Friday...

                                                 Divider-1_thumb13


I am soooo bummed that I don't have a picture for this one, but I completely forgot to take one. We started reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory this week. To celebrate beginning this book, we made cabbage soup together as a class. It was really easy. One head of cabbage, four potatoes cut and peeled, one half of an onion chopped, six chicken bouillon cubes, and 10 cups of water in a slow cooker. We made it in the morning, and by the afternoon, it was ready to go. I had maybe two students who didn't like it. Everyone else LOVED it. They were asking for seconds and commenting about how it was the best soup they ever had. I think that they just really like cooking at school.

                                                  Divider-2_thumb4


This week we made Spider Poems, which were made by Amy Lemons. They are free, and you can check them out at her store here: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Spider-Craft-and-Poem-350370. They turned out soooo cute! We began the lesson by brainstorming verbs and adjectives that could be used with spiders.


Then the students created their own little sandwich poems with the adjectives and verbs that we had brainstormed.



                                                   Divider-3_thumb4

With the common core standards, there is a greater need to emphasize academic vocabulary. I decided that it was especially necessary for me to display academic vocabulary because over half of my class consists of ELs. I made this math and science vocabulary board. We have been discussing different types of addition and subtraction word problems in math, and we have been learning about balance in science.


                                                  [Divider-4_thumb5%255B6%255D.png]

I spent today in the sun at the beach. I am so blessed to live in San Diego, and I couldn't believe what a beautiful day it was today. I was watching my husband and my friends play beach volleyball. I tried it out for a few minutes, but let's just say that volleyball isn't one of my strengths.


Divider-5_thumb5

We played "Base Tents" Scoot by Hope King. I love giving students a chance to move around the room while they are practicing a skill that they need to know. This was their first scoot activity of the year, and I think it is safe to say that they loved it.



Well, I hope that all of you are having a restful weekend, you deserve it! Happy teaching!





1 comment:

  1. Your are lucky to live by the beach. I bet the weather is beautiful there. Thanks for sharing!

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete