Saturday, May 11, 2013

Mother's Day Mason Jars


   My name is Heather, and I love teaching second grade. Seriously, I think that it might possibly be the best grade to teach. It is such a fun grade because the students still have that young innocence about them, but they are old enough for a challenge. 
I am so excited to be starting this blog. I have been teaching second grade for four years at an awesome charter school in El Cajon, CA. Throughout the years, I have developed a deep passion for teaching, and for finding new and creative ways to make content "stick" in the brains of my students. Isn't is great when you see that light bulb go off for the first time? I decided to start this blog so that I can share methods that I use to engage my students and to get them excited about learning.

So, unfortunately this is a little late for this year, but maybe you can use it for next year. I made these Mother's Day Mason Jars with my students, and they turned out adorable! I originally got the idea off of the blog: Lemon Tree Dwelling



We used wine corks and acrylic paints to stamp the flowers onto the mason jars. The next day, I decided to have the students use paint pens to create swirls inside the flowers. They also wrote "Happy Mother's Day" with the paint pens at the top of the mason jar. These mason jar vases are going to look so cute with some bright flowers inside them. 



My students really enjoyed creating these jars, and the moms LOVED them. I hope that your moms enjoy them too!


No comments:

Post a Comment